Scale Out via Read/Write Splitting
Is your database hitting the scalability wall?
ScaleBase performs automatic and transparent Read/Write Splitting utilizing replication slaves to offload read operations from the master database, and balance them smartly across the replication slaves. While writes are still done on the master, slave databases have data that is up-to-date and are free for read operations. As a result – overall system capacity grows, transparently, and your app now can support more and more users and transactions!
Your app can support increasing users and transactions (Big Data) with ScaleBase in front of your RDS master and Read Replicas.
ScaleBase’s Read/Write splitting solution delivers the following benefits:
- Requires 0 code changes and 0 code maintenance
- Reads run faster
- Writes run faster
- Better resource utilization/load balancing
- Improved data consistency/transaction isolation
- Built-in failover with high availability
- Database aware, replication state aware, replication lag aware
- Real time monitoring and alerts
- Centralized management dashboard (seen bleow)
The typical ScaleBase architecture looks like this…
…and performs the following technical functions:
- Automatically route queries to slave databases and writes to the master database.
- Each slave database replication lag is examined; a large replication lag on a slave database will automatically remove it from receiving query commands, as its data might be stale.
- Inner-transaction isolation is, the expectation of queries that are executed after an update to “see” this update in the DB – is kept. Queries executed after an update are automatically routed to the master database, so they will see the updated data that the slaves have not yet received by replication (the transaction is not yet committed in the master).
- Special support edge cases such as temporary tables, cases of SELECT FOR UPDATE, etc.
Learn more about Scalability and high availability